Last one was found in Columbia, this one was in Ecuador.
[photo by Christoph Morlinghaus]
- Twice as long as a city bus
- Diesel-electric propulsion with fuel ballasting capability
- Kevlar and carbon fiber hull construction
- 6,800 nautical mile, 10 day range on surface
- 18 hour underwater time limit from 249 lead-acid batteries
- 9 ton cargo hold (~$250mm of cocaine at street value)
- $5mm construction cost (estimated)
Best part for me?
[photo by Jim Popkin]
Seeing incidental contact protection in front of the bus bars and a ISO 3864 high voltage symbol!!!
Who says that people that take a 16 foot tall sub out into the ocean that will only withstand 68 feet of water pressure aren’t concerned about safety?
Lauryn Hill and Dave Chappelle are performing tonight at 1am in Oakland (3 hours from now). I gotta be out of the house by 6am tomorrow. Since when was I this responsible? Damn you Bay Area and your permanent state of having something awesome going on!
[hat tip to @matthewfong for the ticket info]
I was reading a document today prepared by Dow Chemical about metal particles in lubricant and what they mean.
[Chromium and Molybdenum usually come from bearings, Aluminum and Copper are heat exchangers, etc.]
This tidbit made me laugh…
Also, their Lubricant Technology Center is in Texas, and they had this quip about the weather…
Virgin Galactic hiring for Pilot-Astronauts.
I wish my Dad made me watch Top Gun more often when I was a kid! How cool would this job be, and how perfect would Sully be for it? Pretty sure they would waive their requirements for test pilot school and “prior spaceflight experience”.